Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myMPNteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA
September 21
 · 
Reactions
A myMPNteam Member

I do not try to take my mind off the MPN. Trying not to think about something is a sure way to perseverate about it. I focus on dealing with the MPN proactively and letting go of worry about things I can't control. Engaging in activities that give life purpose and finding ways to have fun every day is a key coping strategy. This is my list of coping strategies.

1. Support from my family, friends, and faith community.
2. The MPN forums (my friends and MPN Family)
3. Maintain your sense of humor and find ways to have fun no matter what.
4. Surround yourself with things that are positive and lift you up.
5. Mindfulness practices - I practice Qigong.
6. Say the Serenity Prayer every day and take it to heart!
7. Educate yourself about your condition(s). Knowledge is power.
8. Create a high-quality treatment team who you trust.
9. Advocate for yourself. Assertive patients receive higher quality care. Passive patients do not. Remember that you are in charge of your care. It is your goals, priorities and preferences that must drive your treatment. Empower yourself to deal with the MPN.

Resilience is as much a choice as it is a set of skills. I live a good life while managing PV and other conditions that include Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (caused a brain tumor/resection), history of Afib and tachycardia (fixed by surgery), and various other "interesting health learning opportunities."

Wishing you all the best.

September 21
A myMPNteam Member

I am a crafty person so I find joy doing that. I’m currently trying different crochet stitches then practicing on cotton to make dishcloths/washcloths. I’ve already warned people they may get a weird little cloth at Christmas 😉 I also want to do some quilting. That’s a bit more ambitious but I’ll get back into it.

September 26
A myMPNteam Member

Watercolors, puzzles, taking the dogs for a beach walk, meeting up with friends for a drink.

September 24
A myMPNteam Member

Being around children brightens my day! They are full of Joy and Love! Also adults who appreciate everything you do for them from the bottom of their hearts and don’t take life for granted!! Most of all laughter makes me happy! ❤️

Lighthearted joke I read about MPNs:
One of my besties knows about my diagnosis and when we go for bike rides and I’m faster than her, she says, “no fair, you have extra blood!” 🤣 She wanted to know what athletic event we have for MPN research, like the MS Bike Rides or the Susan B Komen Race For The Cure. I told her that we do have a fundraising race but the disease is so rare only 5 people show up 🤓

Yeah sometimes you just gotta laugh at the cards life deals you ☺️

September 23
A myMPNteam Member

@A myMPNteam Member You go, girl!

September 27

Related Questions

View All
A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
Middletown, PA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In