Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myMPNteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON canada

My platelets are coming down nicely, but the baby aspirin is causing gastro bleeding. I am high risk of stroke because I have moyamoya syndrome..ie my artery in my brain is irregular and blocked and small vessels carry the blood in my brain..they have been doing the job for years until those sticky MPN platelets came along☹️ I have tried every second day..but bleeding occurs.
WHAT CAN I TAKE INSTEAD OF BABY ASPIRIN TO PREVENT A STROKE?

July 10, 2023
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences finding alternatives to baby aspirin when stomach or intestinal bleeding became a concern, with the most... Read more

Members shared their experiences finding alternatives to baby aspirin when stomach or intestinal bleeding became a concern, with the most commonly recommended substitute being clopidogrel (Plavix), which several members described as effective for stroke prevention without causing the same gastric side effects. Many community members described practical approaches that have worked for them, including taking aspirin with a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec or omeprazole to protect the stomach, switching to Eliquis for higher-risk clotting situations, or exploring Nattokinase as a natural supplement. A recurring theme was the challenge of balancing the need for blood thinning with the risk of bleeding, with members emphasizing the importance of working closely with both hematologists and gastroenterologists to find a personalized solution that addresses both cardiovascular protection and digestive health.

A myMPNteam Member

Nattokinase may thin the blood and help break up blood clots. This might protect against heart disease and conditions caused by blood clots such as stroke, heart attack, and others.

August 19, 2023
A myMPNteam Member

I am allergic to aspirin. So I take clopidogrel as an alternative. Works fine for me.

August 21, 2023
A myMPNteam Member

Plavix? I take it due to heart issues and my hematologist says that I don't need aspirin since I'm on Plavix.

August 18, 2023 (edited)
A myMPNteam Member

Kristen, thanks for your input..I definitely will suggest this alternative..and will post any info I get!
Have a good day!🙂

July 11, 2023
A myMPNteam Member

I have deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and clots in the lung as well so present as high risk for stroke. I take 2.5mg Eliquis 2x daily. It seems to be doing its job and have no bleeding. Aspirin is too mild in this case.

November 13, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
London England

A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In