Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people whoโ€™ve been there
  •   People who understand what youโ€™re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myMPNteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myMPNteam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Cornwall united kingdom

I take low dose aspirin daily for my essential thrombocythemia and am finding it's really messing with my stomach. I had an endoscopy at the end of last year which diagnosed me with aspirin induced gastritis. I feel like I am trying everything to help the gastritis but I am struggling with regular flare ups. I take daily omeprazole, I am really careful with what I eat avoiding alcohol and fatty/spicy foods, I try to eat little and often, I have kefir drinks, I drink lots of water and exerciseโ€ฆ read more

February 17, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A myMPNteam Member

Hi Robyn, I have ET slowly progressing to MF. Jak2, no other gene variations or mutations.

I developed hemorrhagic gastritis from taking daily 81 mg aspirin. I sought out help and was and am under the care of a gastro doctor. I was taking the baby aspirin to treat the stinging sharp pains in my toes and parts of my feet. I tried a few prescriptions the doctor prescribed but continued to have pain in the stomach. She finally prescribed 40 mg Nexium. She told me insurance would not cover their portion of the cost of Nexium until I had not been helped with obviously lower priced medications. I started feeling better after three days of taking the 40 mg tablet. The gastritis caused Barrett's esophagus. I was able to reduce the 81 mg aspiring to one every three days and the also just the Nexium prescription on that day. Gastro doc approved this after a follow up endoscopy. Recently, likely a new med I have to take, my stomach started bothering me. I started taking the Nexium daily again. Like you, I avoid foods that could or do bother my stomach. I'm due for my approximate every 4-6 month visit with my gastro doctor. All the best to you, Janet

February 18, 2025
A myMPNteam Member

If you have taken steps to protect your stomach but continue to experience flare-ups, you may want to consider adjusting your approach. If aspirin continues to cause significant discomfort, discussing with your doctor the possibility of switching to Clopidogrel (Plavix) could be a good option. Regular stomach monitoring through endoscopy is also recommended to prevent long-term complications such as ulcers. I hope one of these solutions works for you! I was also switched to Clopidogrel for a while, and once my stomach recovered, I was able to go back to low-dose aspirin. Wishing you relief and good health! ๐Ÿ˜Š

February 17, 2025
A myMPNteam Member

Hi Sales, one of the reasons I was reducing the daily Nexium to less often...every three days...was for the same reason you point out. It reduces stomach acid and we need the stomach acid to digest food and absorb nutrients. Nexium and similar medications are listed by government health agencies, FDA etc. as one of the top ten medications that SHOULD NOT be taken long term. There articles posted on PubMed or other sites about the negative aspects of taking Nexium etc. long term.!Every three days vs every day is at least better. Right? Unfortunately, I had to go on anagrelide and it's causing some nausea and stomach problems.

When you wrote, 'this cured me'. Did you mean you stopped the Omeprazol and then you no longer had GERD? Was the Omeprazol prescribed to treat GERD in the first place? How did you stop having GERD after stopping the Omeprazol? I'm just trying to figure out if there is something else I can be doing to help my body.

I have Barrett's esophagus from the initial diagnosis of hemorrhagic gastritis. This is a pre cancer condition... all because of baby aspirin and medications to keep my platelets from going up.

Hope you are doing well. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

March 24, 2025
A myMPNteam Member

ok so I went through this and fixed it, I was on prescription Omeprazol too. it's literally the worst thing. I was surprised to learn that this is a result of not enough stomach acid. Do this... Youtube Dr Berg "The Two Causes for GERD". this cured me!

March 22, 2025
A myMPNteam Member

Also is you are taking aspirin, try taking it earlier in the day with a big meal. I used to take it before bed, not a good idea for me.

March 25, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A myMPNteam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Austin, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In