I’ve been taking Hydrea for eight years now and my platelets have remained within the boundaries all that time so I’m reluctant to make a change. I was rather hoping for a miracle before I go bald.
6 days ago
Hair loss is a known side effect of hydroxyurea (Hydrea), and you're definitely not alone in dealing with this. Many myMPNteam members have shared similar frustrations.
Here are some suggestions that may help:
- Talk to your doctor about whether your dose can be adjusted, as lower doses sometimes reduce side effects
- Ask Show Full Answer
Hair loss is a known side effect of hydroxyurea (Hydrea), and you're definitely not alone in dealing with this. Many myMPNteam members have shared similar frustrations.
Here are some suggestions that may help:
- Talk to your doctor about whether your dose can be adjusted, as lower doses sometimes reduce side effects
- Ask about alternative treatments like ruxolitinib (Jakafi) or interferon therapy, which may be better tolerated
- Be gentle with your hair — avoid harsh chemicals, heat styling, and tight hairstyles
- Ask about supplements like biotin, but always check with your doctor first before adding anything new One myMPNteam member shared that switching away from hydroxyurea "made a huge difference" in how they felt overall and their quality of life.
It's worth having an open conversation with your hematologist about whether hydroxyurea is still the right fit for you. Never stop taking your medication without speaking to your doctor first though — there are real risks to stopping suddenly.
6 days ago